1. Assess your lightening- how much shade is your garden really getting and place plants accordingly.
2. Know your soil type- Whether it is more acidic or alkaline plays a part, but the most important factor is the soil's ability to retain or drain moisture.
2. Water often- Most shade gardens are covered by trees that can cause an umbrella effect.
3. Always mulch- Mulch will hold moisture, provide nutrients over time, and prevent weeds.
4. Pruning- If your garden is under trees prune low branches of trees to let in more light or thin out higher branches to lighten the canopy.
5. Plant bright plants- Shades of yellow and gold shine in the shade and help reflect light into the darker areas of your garden.